Saturday, April 14, 2012

All Grown Up: San Diego Food Bloggers Bake Sale 2012

In the early days of my blog, I wasn't sure where I wanted to draw my focus. Obviously I wanted to talk about baking and occassionally to revamp or try recipes that were diabetic friendly. In my search for self discovery, I stumbled upon a blog called Meandering Eats and Marie was promoting the San Diego Food Blogger Bake Sale. I went to the sale held at Great News Cookware and Cooking School in Pacific Beach and got to meet a few local bloggers and try a few of their treats. After the sale, I blogged about the experience "When I Grow Up" and hoped that one day I would get to join this great group of bloggers and help raise money for a wonderful cause.



Less than one year later, I'm part of the San Diego Food Bloggers group and I have the opportunity to participate in this year's bake sale! I hope you can join us on Saturday, April 28 at Great News (1788 Garnett Avenue San Diego, CA 92109). Other than having the chance to try both sweet and savory treats from 40 local bloggers and bakers and doing a little shopping inside Great News (I can get lost in there for quite awhile), every purchase will be a contribution towards Share Our Strength's (Strength.org) fight against childhood hunger in America. I gave a few statistics about childhood hunger in my original blog last year and in researching for this year's bake sale, I came across a trailer for Hunger Hits Home: Our Problem, Our Children, Our Solution (See the documentary trailer here) that will be featured on the Food Network tonight. Unfortunately, it will already be playing on the east coast by the time I get this post up but luckily, the Food Network will be replaying it throughout the weekend and hopefully during the week.

Can't make it to the event? Visit San Diego Bloggers' Bake Sale page to make a donation, bid on one of the online auctions, or discover a new San Diego food blog. Not a San Diego local? Not to worry! Visit Bloggers Without Borders website which lists food blogger bake sales throughout the US. Last year,national food blogger bake sales raised $25,000. This year's goal is $50,000!

So what will I be baking for this fantastic event? Ideas have been rattling inside my brain for the past month on what I want to make and the problem is, I want to make it all! Of course I can't make it all but I did decide on making my Lemon Snow Cake...in a jar! Other items I'm considering are some kind of cookie and/or a mini pie. All of the items that I will be making for the sale (whatever they end up being) will be diabetic friendly whether they be made with Splenda, reduced sugar, or no sugar added. Other bloggers will also have vegan and gluten free items. I hope to see everyone there and a special thanks in advance if you can make it!

5 comments:

  1. Hi, I got 3 of your apple pie pops and just want you to know that I'm hooked :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by and supporting the sale. I'm glad you like the pie pops! They were a last minute decision and I'm glad they turned out :)

      Delete
  2. Hello,

    I bought your Lemon Snow Cupcake in a jar. Such a cute idea, and so good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheila! Thanks for stopping by the sale and I'm glad you enjoyed the cupcake in a jar! I'll be posting pictures and a follow up post soon to let everyone know how we did thanks to everyone's support! :)

      Delete
  3. So happy I got one of the last cake in a jar! I absolutely loved it and gave you a shout out on my blog today :) http://bit.ly/IA2tL5

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...