Friday, April 6, 2012

Springtime Sunshine - Lemon Snow Cake

Around 25 years ago, my grandfather planted this lemon tree in the family's backyard. It's definitely had its ups and downs throughout the years, with it's branches losing its leaves and producing lemons that yielded no juice. In the months approaching Spring this year, every time I came to visit my parents, I would peer through the sliding glass door to look at all the trees and plants my grandfather had loving planted all those years ago and for once, the lemon tree was showing a little sign of life.
Springtime is a time to celebrate life and new beginnings. Spring has always been special to me because of my birthday, Easter with my family, the birth of my blog, and just this week, my first steps without a crutch since my fall in January.  Now that it has become easier to move around the kitchen, minus the crutches, I knew it was time to really come back with something good and something to celebrate Spring. I wracked my brain trying to think of a good recipe that was Easter related and all I kept coming back to was carrot cake or some kind of eggy dessert like a custard. I bounced the idea of carrot cake off my mom and she made that face (she hates carrot cake), I knew I needed to go in a different direction. She mentioned that in the south, coconut cake is very popular and that the coconut is supposed to represent a nest. I instantly knew what I wanted to make.

When I was a little girl, my family use to buy this cake called Lemon Snow from George's Wonderful World of Cakes. Unfortunately, the bakery has since closed. The taste is strictly based on my childhood memories so this is my variation of one of my favorite cakes.

Lemon Snow Cake
White Cake
2 1/4 cups cake flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups heavy cream

Lemon Curd
3 eggs
3/4 cups sugar
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon zest
6 tablespoons cold butter

3 cups of sweetened shredded or flaked coconut




1) Preheat oven to 350*. On a piece of parchment paper, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl, beat the eggs and vanilla together with a fork. Set aside.
2) In a separate bowl, beat the heavy cream with a mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form (thick whipped cream). Lower the speed and add the egg/vanilla mixture until blended. Slowly add the dry ingredients in thirds until the batter is smooth.

3) Spray two 8 or 9 inch round pans with cooking spray. Divide the batter evenly into the pans. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Check the cakes by poking with a toothpick and if it comes out clean, remove and cool. Remove from pans after 10 minutes and cool on a wire rack.


4) Cut the cold butter into chunks and set aside. In a double boiler or in a medium saucepan, bring water to a simmer. In a heatproof bowl over the saucepan, combine the lemon juice, sugar, lemon zest, and eggs. Whisk the mixture frequently for 8-10 minutes until thickened.  Remove from heat and add a chunk of butter, one at a time, whisking until melted. Allow the lemon curd to cool to room temperature.
5) Level the cakes with a knife or cake leveler. Place the bottom layer on a cake plate, add a generous layer of lemon curd on top, then add the other cake on top. Add an additional thin layer of lemon curd on the top and sides of the cake. Sprinkle the top of the cake with coconut. To add coconut to the sides, take a small piece of parchment paper, place some coconut on the paper, and gently press the coconut against the cake.


Sueshine Notes about this recipe
*Double Boiler: Do not be intimidated by the double boiler section of this recipe. I don't own anything fancy and all you need is a tall saucepan and a heatproof bowl that will fit snugly at the top of the pan. Make sure the water is not touching the bottom of your bowl.
*Lemon Curd: Do not walk away from the bowl! You have to keep on whisking or you will end up with scrambled eggs.
*Coconut: Believe it or not, adding coconut was probably the most difficult part of this recipe. It's going to get messy so make sure you lay down a towel under your work space for an easy clean up.
*Shortcuts: Say you don't want to mess around with the double boiler or you do end up with scrambled eggs, not to worry. Lemon curd is available in most grocery stores in the jam/jelly section. Not into making cake from scratch? Use white box cake and I won't judge!
*Substitutions: I of course wanted to try this cake so I substituted the sugar with Splenda's sugar blend. If you do use the sugar blend, be sure to read the label for conversions. If you go cup by cup, your cake/curd will be too sweet. I also tried this recipe with both cake flour and all purpose flour. I prefer the cake flour because the cake is softer and smoother and reminded me more of the lemon snow cake at George's. Remember, there is a conversion for the flour too: 2 1/4 cups of cake flour = 2 cups of all purpose flour. 

I hope you make this cake and enjoy a little sunshine on a plate this Spring. If you're a little scared to tackle this one, stay tuned for my next post to find out when and where you can get a bite of this cake (already made for you) and help a great cause!



9 comments:

  1. I have been trying to find a recipe for the lemon snow cake for years. Every time family visits or I return to San Diego, I always stopped by for a cake to freeze and take home. I will make this soon and hopefully it will bring back the childhood memories of my favorite cake...JW in AZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly Georges in San Diego closed last year and now there is no more of that famous Lemon Snow Cake, I am trying to find the right recipe to use as a guideline so I can recreate that wonderful cake, I'm going to try this one out soon, thank you for putting up this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so sad when George's closed! This has always been my husband's and mother's FAVORITE cake and we would always get one for their birthdays and on Mother's Day. I am a novice baker and felt your recipe was a little intimidating at first but I followed it, step by step, and found your instructions produced the exact copy of George's Lemon Snow Cake! I can't wait for Mother's Day to surprise my 84 year old mother with your recipe. Thank you for recreating this treasure! Julie - Chula Vista resident for 50 years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so Much, I have been looking for this recipe since Georges closed. Now if anyone can help me out with the filling at the bottom of the strawberry pie recipe, I would be forever grateful!!!
    -T- Bonita resident for 33 Years

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! I hope my recipe does George's cake justice....its all from memory and feedback from my family. Enjoy! :)

      Delete
  5. I, too, became a fan of this cake when I had it at George's. I'm beyond ecstatic that I might finally be able to taste this cake again! Thank you sooooooo much! I also hope to find their strawberry pie recipe as well. Might be simpler than I think it is, though...

    -JM -National City

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! I'm sure my family use to buy the strawberry pies as well but unfortunately I don't recall them as much as the lemon snow cake. I've had several requests to recreate the strawberry pie but no one has been able to tell me exactly what the components of the pie were! Maybe my mom can remind me :)

      Delete
  6. If you call their old number the previous owner has a business call Little George's... he makes Lemon Snow Cakes, Brownies, and the Strawberry Pies... You call and place the order and pick up when he tells you your order will be ready... ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yummmmmmmmmmmmm wish I was in San Diego now..... Three of the best items ever.. :D E n j o y !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Little George has passed away. Family is try to find someone to take over.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...