Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Let Her Eat (Birthday) Cake

Eek! I'm already slacking off on my blog...but I guess you can do that when it's your birthday week. Actually, the main reason I haven't been on the computer much is because it's a constant battle with the Mister for computer time. We've been "sharing" a laptop for a few months now but I honestly could not justify using the computer for long periods of time, playing around on Facebook and Pogo when he was actually using it for work. So when I decided that I was going to start blogging, I knew I had to get my own computer somehow. Tax refund? Nope, must be a grown-up, be responsible, and pay off the credit card. Sugar Daddy Scott? Nope, he's already been covering my behind for the past few months for basic necessities....like gas for my car so I can actually go to work and make money. Paycheck? HA! Think Suzy, think! Birthday!! As soon as I thought of it, I immediately told my mom to spread the word to the family...get me Best Buy gift cards to contribute to my new venture. Well guess what, my awesome family pulled through, along with Scott and I was able to get my laptop last night. Thanks family!!


On my actual birthday (last Thursday), Scott had to teach for a little bit so I finished up on my Hello Kitty cake pops for a baby shower. Scott's boss's two sons are having baby girls and the dual baby shower theme was Hello Kitty. When I first heard about this, Scott thought it would be a good idea to give them my cake pops as a present so all the guests could fawn all over how cute they were and maybe get my name out there a little. Sure why not. I wanted to try it ever since I saw it on Bakerella.com. I usually have a fight with my cake pops whenever I make them because candy coating is so temperamental and I usually get more all over myself and the kitchen than on the actual cake. But I guess it was destiny for me to make HK cake pops and the baking gods were smiling down on me on my birthday. The cake was strawberry (It wouldn't be HK if it wasn't pink inside!) with vanilla frosting. The ears are actually white chocolate chips which I think are so creative, the nose and flower are sprinkles, and the eyes and whiskers are decorator's icing. I love how they turned out :)  (I'll be talking about my obsession with cake pops in a blog really soon!).


Oh and the Hello Kitty birthday extravaganza does not end there. Going back about a month ago, my mom and I decided to take a field trip to the new Asian market in Chula Vista (yup, going to the market IS considered entertainment in my family...especially the Asian market...don't know what you'll find there!). Inside the Asian market, there is a food court that has all the Filipino bakeries. One is Red Ribbon Bakeshop (http://www.redribbonbakeshop.us/) and when we were looking around, like an alien tractor beam, I was instantly pulled towards the Hello Kitty cake. I must say that although there are a lot of talented cake decorators in San Diego, I've always been impressed with the skill that Filipino bakeries have for decorating cakes. The icing and cake looks and tastes good and really isn't too sweet. The handmade sugar flowers are always so pretty and they almost look real. (I didn't hesitate when my mom suggested I get my wedding cake from a Filipino bakery and I personally think my wedding cake, although simple, could stand up to a lot of wedding cakes...and cost half as much too!) Sorry, I got sidetracked on how good cake is...lol. So back to the story. On Friday, my mom texted me:


Mom: What kind of cake do you want?
Me: Doesn't matter to me....not like I can really eat it anyways
Mom: I'm trying to get them to make it with Splenda
Me: Oh in that case I want something coffee flavored!
Mom: Oh they can't make it with Splenda...they said the icing wouldn't hold up


ARGH STORY OF MY DIABETIC LIFE!  So when I showed up to my mom's house for the party, I still wasn't too surprised to see my HK cake....chocolate with coffee cream and toffee crunchies in the middle. Yes, I know I'm 29 and my mom got me a HK cake but so what! Don't judge...you know it's cute!  Luckily, my birthday is the one time of the year the Sugar Police backs off a little and lets me enjoy a slice of regular, full power cake. I took my shot of insulin and savored each bite of my birthday cake. I even behaved myself and didn't eat any of the pink frosting.

So that is what I have been up to lately....saying "Hello" to lots of cute and yummy cake. Hopefully now that I have my computer I'll be able to post more often. I have a few things planned for the next month or so but nothing really set in stone. I'm just going to go with it :)

 <3 Lil Ms. Sueshine :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...