Sunday, September 18, 2011

Holding onto Summer - Mini Pineapple Mango Tarts

As summer comes to an end in Southern California, I wanted to make something that reminded me of summer...something reminiscent of a tropical fruity drink. Also coming to a close is my 6th month of blogging. For those of you who don't know, Blogger tracks your stats and what key words brought readers to your site. The top search for my site was for puff pastry recipes. It's good to know you all have the same love for puff pastry as I do! I mean, I did devote a week to it HERE. So in celebration, I made a super easy mini pineapple mango tart that just about anyone can make.


Mini Pineapple Mango Tarts

Ingredients

1 large ripe mango, peeled & diced (about 1 1/2 cup)
1 4oz can of cubed pineapple in natural juice (fresh can be used if available)
1 lime
1 1/2 tbsp butter
2 1/2 tbsp packed brown sugar
1 sheet of puff pastry dough
1/2 cup whipped cream or frozen whipped topping (optional)

Preheat oven to 400F. Grate 1 1/2 tsp lime zest  (optional) and squeeze 1/2 of lime (add more to taste).



Spray a muffin pan with a non stick spray.Unfold the pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Roll the pastry sheet to remove the fold marks. Using a round cutter (a glass or cup can also be used), cut into 8-12 rounds. Roll rounds thin and shape into muffin tin. Edges should slightly come over the top of the hole. Refrigerate.



Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the brown sugar and lime juice and cook until the mixture boils. Stir occasionally. Add the mango and pineapple, coating the fruit. Remove from heat.





Spoon fruit mixture into the pastry cups. Bake for 15 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Cool then remove from pan. Top with whipped cream and garnish with lime zest.
Adapted from puffpastry.com


Sueshine notes
1) Please flour your surface and rolling pin or the puff pastry will stick to it and everything near it, including you!
2) Please please spray your muffin pan. The tarts may stick if you don't do it.
3) Please please please wash your saucepan immediately. Even though I used a non stick pan, as soon as the sugar starts to cool, it will start sticking to your pan. Are you seeing a trend in my notes for this recipe? :)

The whipped cream is not pictured in this post just because the day I made them, I was taking it to the San Diego Food Blogger's Roundtable brunch and I wasn't sure if it would hold up. I would add the whipped cream. What's a fruity drink without the whipped cream, right? Here's to the end of summer and many more blog posts to come! Cheers!





1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...