Sunday, January 1, 2012

Cheers to 2012! Sparkling Cran-Pomegranate Granita

As I sat on my couch earlier this week, I was curious what the new year's weather forecast would be for my beautiful city of San Diego, California.


"Sunny and in the 80s for the first week of 2012," my local weatherman said.


Really? Did anyone tell the weatherman it's winter? That's Southern California for you. So on the last day of 2011, I decided to prepare myself for a winter heat wave and celebrate the coming of 2012 by making my own "snow."


Sparkling Cran-Pomegranate Granita


2 cups sparkling wine or Champagne
1 cup Diet Ocean Spray Cranberry-Pomegranate juice (for less sugar)
2 tablespoons of Splenda or super fine sugar
pomegranate seeds to garnish (optional)




Mix all ingredients in a bowl until sugar is dissolved. Pour into a 9x13in pan (a metal pan works best) and place in freezer for about 2 hours. Stir the center of the pan every 20-30 minutes. When the mixture is solid, scrape the ice crystals with the back of a fork. Spoon into a glass and top with a tiny bit of the wine or Champagne. Garnish with pomegranate seeds (optional).


Why did I choose these flavors for my granita? Champagne for the obvious reasons....New Year's is a time for celebration. Cranberry to remind me of the holidays and all the amazing times I'd just had with my family and friends. And pomegranates? To signify lots of luck, good health, and prosperity that I wish for all of you in 2012! Happy New Year's!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...