Friday, July 22, 2011

Just Peachy

Oh good Lord...it's been awhile since I blogged and I'm sorry it's taken so long. Believe me, I've been baking but I've also hit a few health speed bumps these past few weeks. I've had a few dizzy spells where my sugar was too low. It's not the best feeling to have low sugar. It actually feels worse than having it too high. I got shaky a few times especially this morning. I really do need to keep an emergency stash of sugar for these times but a large glass of milk at least got me to stop shaking. If you didn't know, diabetes can cause a lot of complications if not controlled and sometimes even when it's somewhat controlled. One thing diabetics are susceptible to is infections. Without going into details, I got an infection from on a spot I previously had surgery on 2 years ago and the infection popped up pretty fast. I got it on Saturday and by Tuesday night, it was full blown and I was in serious pain. I'm on lots of ibuprofen and antibiotics so I'm on my way to recovery and back to blogging!


So enough of the scary stuff and on to the happy stuff. My tag line is "Blogging and Baking Sweet Memories" so I wanted to start a series of blogs over the next few months about one of the most important things in my life....my family. Whether its something that a family member has made or a food/dessert that reminds me of certain people, I wanted to dedicate blogs to them. So the first blog in the series is dedicated to my Auntie Sherri who gave me the nickname Sueshine :)

There aren't too many years between my Auntie Sherri and I so when I was a little girl, we lived in my grandparent's house together. I remember sitting in the bathroom admiring her as she did her hair or feeling pretty cool cause she took me to her boyfriend's high school baseball game. Like myself, I think the cooking gene skipped right over her. But also like myself, I do remember watching her bake simple things like brownies and yellow cake with chocolate frosting (yum!). These are some of the earliest memories of watching a family member bake. The one baked item that stands out the most is when she would make peach cobbler because despite it being made with Bisquick and canned peaches, it was still made from scratch and really good. Every grocery store in town was advertising peaches so when I had my first bite into a delicious, juicy, ripe peach about a month ago, I knew exactly what I wanted to make. (Top left: two of my yellow peaches from Albertsons were the size of softballs!) I'm not sure if she still has the recipe or if she has made it any time in the last few years but I wanted to share my interpretation of an early memory.



Fresh Raspberry-Peach Cobbler

2 cups of fresh peaches, pitted and sliced
1 small package of fresh raspberries
1/2 cup granulated sugar substitute
1 tbsp cornstarch
2 cups Bisquick Heart Smart
1/2 low fat milk
3 tbsp margarine or butter (remember the Smart Balance butter blend from a previous blog!), melted
2 tbsp light brown sugar (or Splenda blend)





Heat oven to 375F. Lightly butter (or use spray) a 9x 1 1/2 inch deep dish. (Sueshine note: I made this recipe slightly smaller and it fit perfectly in a loaf pan).

Mix peaches, raspberries, sugar, and cornstarch in a large bowl. Sit for 10 minutes. Spoon into pan.



Stir Bisquick, milk, butter, and brown sugar in the same bowl until dough forms.



Drop dough by spoonfuls on top of fruit mixture.
 (Sueshine note: don't spread it over the fruit...drop randomly in clumps and leave a little space)


Bake for 25-30 minutes or until top is golden brown.



Adapted from BettyCrocker.com

Final result



Warm raspberry-peach cobbler is so good with plain vanilla ice cream. I didn't have any on hand but I did have some sugar free Clemmy's butter pecan ice cream that just set it over the edge. For the diabetics in the crowd, I substituted some of the ingredients but be careful of all the natural sugars in the peaches. Too much of a good thing can be bad for you. Although you might be tempted to eat the whole pan of cobbler, don't do it. Even if you aren't diabetic, it probably isn't a good idea to eat the whole pan either :) A co-worker of mine told me she isn't a big fan of peaches and if another fruit could be substituted. I'm sure it can....maybe blueberries or apples would be good. I'm all about experimenting so add whatever you like best. This recipe turned out to be one of the easiest and tastiest desserts I've made so far so please make it. Make my aunt proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...